Chicken Sausage with Broccoli Rabe, Sun Dried Tomatoes and Mozzarella
This recipe is one of my all time favorites. It got great flavor, very juicy on the grill, and full of creamy melted mozzarella goodness. I don't use it in other recipes, just grill it up and enjoy. It's also great for beginners because you can form it into sausage patties instead of stuffing into casings if you haven't progressed to the stuffing phase yet.
5 lbs skinless boneless chicken thighs (I get mine at Costco)
One bunch of chopped broccoli rabe (you can use the stems also)
2 Tsp of kosher salt
5 garlic cloves crushed thru garlic press
1 Tbsp of freshly ground black pepper
1 Tsp crushed red pepper
12 ounces mozzarella cheese cut into 1/4 inch pieces (don't use fresh mozzarella it will melt too much when cooking)
3/4 cup chopped sundried tomatoes
Dry white wine as described below
Hog casings as needed
1. Bring two quarts of water to boiling, salt the water and boil the chopped broccoli rabe for 3 minute. Drain and squeeze out the excess water, chill before mixing it into the chicken in step 4 below.
2. Make sure your chicken is well chilled and grind it thru your fine grinding plate. Put it back into the fridge to rechill it.
3. Put the sun dried tomatoes in a measuring cup, add the crushed garlic and add white wind to the cup until the tomatoes are just covered. Let this sit for 1/2 hour to let the dried tomatoes absorb some of the wine.
4. Add all herbs, spices, tomatoes, broccoli rabe, and garlic to the ground chicken and mix it with your hands until evenly mixed.
5. Stuff your sausage into the hog casing. Prick any air pockets.
6. Place the sausage on a baking sheet, refrigerate uncovered for 1 day to let the spices meld. (note, that you can also do this step after mixing but before stuffing if it's easier on your schedule)
7. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze.