Fresh Lamb, Feta, and Tomato Sausage
I love lamb sausage. If you every go on my NYC food purveyor tour, you will find a lamb vendor that has a grill going that samples their amazing sausage. They were the inspiration for my experimentation into lamb sausage. The recipe below is a riff on Merguez with added flavors of feta and tomato. Throw it on the grill and enjoy!
2 1/2 lbs ground lamb
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 oz bacon small diced
1 tbsp kosher salt
2 tsp hot paprika
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp oregano
1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp urfa or allepo chili
8 garlic cloves crushed thru a garlic press
2 tbsp Anise Liqueur
1/4 cup dry red wine
2/3 cup chopped sun dried tomatoes
2/3 cup chopped feta cheese
1. Grind the lamb if you don't start with ground lamb through 5/16 inch plate
2. In a frying pan cook the bacon with the onions until the onions are golden and the bacon is crisp.
3. In a small bowl mix the sun dried tomatoes, red wine, anise, and crushed garlic. Let the liquid begin to absorb into the tomatoes.
4. Mix the ground lamb with all the other ingredients except the feta cheese
5. Fold in the feta and the tomato mixture into the lamb just until it is evenly incorporated
6. Stuff into medium hog casings
7. Refrigerate or freeze for storage.